CAGW Releases November 2015 WasteWatcher

For Immediate Release Contact: Curtis Kalin 202-467-5318
November 19, 2015  

(Washington, D.C.) – Today Citizens Against Government Waste (CAGW) released its November WasteWatcher, a monthly dispatch to members of the news media, highlighting some of the most prominent fiscal issues affecting American taxpayers.  The stories from its November edition of WasteWatcher are listed in part as follows:

The Trans-Pacific Partnership and Intellectual Property

By Deborah Collier

On October 5, 2015, negotiations for the TPPA concluded and a summary of the 30 chapters of the agreement was released.  Chapter 18 of the agreement specifically discusses the rights and responsibilities of each TPP member nation in protecting IP.  Read the full story here.

IRS Commissioner Impeached by House Committee

By Curtis Kalin
On October 27, 2015, 19 members of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, including Chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), introduced H. Res. 494, a resolution to impeach Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Commissioner John Koskinen.  The resolution accuses Koskinen of a “pattern of deception,” making “materially false statements,” and a “breach of trust,” that constitutes a “pattern of conduct that is incompatible with the duties as an officer of the United States.”  Read the full story here.

Dr. Tom Coburn’s Legacy

By Sean Kennedy

From 2008 until he retired from the Senate in January 2015, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) provided an invaluable resource for taxpayers by publishing compilations of the worst wasteful spending.  Between 2011 and 2014, the annual publication was called “The Wastebook.”  Several members of Congress are hoping to continue Sen. Coburn’s work by releasing their own reports.  Read the full story here.

GSEs Should Spread the Risk (and Share the Profits)

By William M. Christian

Political discourse these days, particularly on the left, often takes the form of haranguing the much-vaunted “1 percent” to “spread the wealth” to the remaining 99 percent, as though such redistribution would solve society’s ills.  The inadequacies of this idea notwithstanding, perhaps the discussion—at least in the context of the mortgage giants Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie Mae) and Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac)—can shift to something that is both more achievable and more beneficial to taxpayers: spreading the risk.  Read the full story here.

A Baffling Ban on Selling Bottled Water

By Elizabeth Wright

The National Park Service (NPS) has decided to allow regional directors of national parks to review and approve the establishment of “a disposable plastic water bottle recycling and reduction policy, with an option to eliminate sales on a park-by-park basis.”   In other words, the federal government would make it more difficult to obtain and use the very substance most needed to safely visit and enjoy national parks.  Read the full story here.

The Spectrum Dilemma

By Deborah Collier

The increasing number of mobile broadband users means that additional spectrum will be required to provide them with the services they need in a consistent and timely manner.  Read the full story here.

CAGW is the nation’s largest nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to eliminating waste, fraud, abuse, and mismanagement in government.

Sign Up for Email Updates!Click Here!

CAGW Names Rep. Elijah Cummings November 2017 Porker of the Month

Rep. Cummings is CAGW's November Porker of the Month for attempting to place price controls on prescription drugs.